Updated August 7th, 2017 – It looks like Natural Grocers is hoping to break ground this month and be open by Spring 2018. On August 1st the planning and zoning commission recommended the rezoning of the 1.69 acres to a planned unit development, this is expected to be approved by the city council August 8th.
Reports tell us that the new store will have no meat counter or deli with only organic produce, dairy products from grass-fed cows, vitamins and self-care products and will sell nothing with artificial colors or sweeteners. ~From the Sun and other sources.
If you drive down University Avenue just west of Wolf Ranch Parkway you will see the sign announcing that Natural Grocers is coming to Georgetown.
And if you look on the New Store Announcements page on the Natural Grocers Website you will see that Georgetown Texas is on the list. What is not known is when we will get to start shopping!
Ken and I were excited to see men doing some clearing and cleaning up on the lot nearby the spot where the Natural Grocers will be as we passed by a few days ago and it got me to thinking about what this type of store will bring to Georgetown? So I did a little research…
1. Product Departments at a Natural Grocery include Body Care, Books, Bulk Foods, Dairy, Dietary Supplements, Frozen Foods, Grab & Go, Grocery, Household, Meat, Organic Produce and Pet Care.
2. Special Order Products – The staff will special order any food or supplement product for you. You can pick up your order at the store, usually in less than a week and there is no extra charge.
3. Nutritional Health Coaches in most stores to answer questions while you shop, presenting in-store nutrition classes and cooking demos, offering one-on-one health coaching sessions, and speaking at your next event.
4. Events – Natural Grocers offers educational events to the community, including seminars, cooking demonstrations and health fairs. Focusing on teaching how the body works and what it needs to stay healthy, these events are free, have plenty of Q&A time and are given by experts.
5. Quality Guarantee – Here’s what they have to say about their guarantee – “We source our groceries, body care products, and supplements from the most reliable, trustworthy and experienced natural food growers and processors in the world. If you are dissatisfied with a product purchased from us, please bring it back so we can make it right.”
6. National Organic Program – Natural Grocers stores take the extra step to become USDA certified organic handlers, this means a third party audits the way they handle organic food so that it doesn’t get commingled with other non-organic foods.
7. Natural Grocers has a very strict policy concerning what they won’t sell. Here’s their list:
Food Ingredients Natural Grocers Won’t Sell – Apricot kernels (also known as B-17), Artificial colors, Artificial flavors, Artificial sweeteners, Acesulfame-K, Aspartame (NutrasweetTM), Sucralose (SplendaTM), Bleached flours, Cloned animals/cloned animal dairy products, Fresh dairy products from confinement dairies, Fresh dairy products from cows given rBGH (recombinant BGH), GMO (Genetically Modified Organism) salmon or any other GMO animal/seafood product, Hydrogenated and/or partially hydrogenated oils, Irradiated food, MSG (Monosodium glutamate) & Olestra,
Supplement Ingredients Natural Grocers Won’t Sell – Chaparral, Comfrey, Cannabidiol (CBD) Oils and Products, DHEA, KETO, EDTA, Germanium, Glycols, Graviola, Human growth hormone (hGH), Iron oxide, Some weight loss supplements, Potassium iodide/High dose iodine, Pregnenolone, Talc (magnesium silicate) & Testosterone cream
Body Care Ingredients Natural Grocers Won’t Sell – Antibacterial soaps, DEET (diethyl-meta-toluamide), Acetone, Aluminum or alcloxa, Artificial colors (FD&C, D&C), Artificial fragrances, BHA (butylated hydroxyanisole), BHT,
Bismuth oxychloride, Coal tar, DBP (dibutyl phthalate), Formaldehyde & dormaldehyde donors, Hydrogenated/partially hydrogenated oils, Hydroquinone, Isopropyl alcohol, Mineral oil, petroleum, & petrolatum, Parabens, Phthalates, Talc, Testosterone cream & Toluene.
The Natural Grocers Story
“It was 1955 – Our parents, Margaret and Philip Isely – poor, idealistic – started Natural Grocers with $200 and a dream that everyone should be able to afford a healthy lifestyle and be empowered to take control of their own health.
“The inspiration for this dream came from their own struggles to afford healthy food and be healthy. Shortly after the birth of their second child, Margaret became chronically ill. When conventional medicine was unable to help her, she turned to the health mavericks of that time: Adelle Davis and Roger J. Williams. She used the principles in Davis’ book, Let’s Get Well, to heal her body with nutrition, which included eating nutrient-dense, natural foods and taking dietary supplements.
“It was a call to action. After the remarkable improvement in Margaret’s health brought on by following this nutrition regimen, our parents became health crusaders. Borrowing $200 to help feed the family and put gas in the car, they went door-to-door in Golden, Colorado lending books on nutrition and giving out samples of whole grain bread. They would return a week or two later, discuss nutrition and take orders for supplements, the bread and other natural, nourishing foods.
“In a time when TV dinners and convenience foods were enjoying their heyday, our parents bucked convention. They taught us that nutrition education is the foundation for building health and being in control of your life, and that healthy living should be affordable and accessible to everyone.
“Against all odds we’ve succeeded in growing a thriving, dynamic business that empowers people to live in health. We have done this by bucking the trends, by staying current and involved in nutrition, and by using our Five Founding Principles to guide our business decisions.”
Natural Grocers New Georgetown Location will be 1301 West University.
Natural Grocers 5 Founding Principles
1. Nutrition Education
2. Highest Quality Products
3. Affordable Pricing
4. Commitment to our Community
5. Commitment to our Employees
Natural Grocers has dozens of stores across the country and 3 in the Austin area including one in Cedar Park at 1335 E Whitestone Blvd Bldg G-17 Cedar Park, TX 78613. If you go be sure to share your experience with us in the comments. Thank you.
Learn More About Natural Grocers here https://www.naturalgrocers.com/