Bring On The Sunshine! Hello Georgetown! What a crazy couple of weeks it's been! I hope you and your family is recovering from the recent winter weather that hit Georgetown and all of Texas. Be … Read More...
Have you picked up your fresh pecans yet? Our Williamson County pecan growers harvested pecans from October through December, and the harvest was fantastic! Be sure to stop by a local farmers market to get some pecans soon.
In case you don’t know, the pecan is a nutrition powerhouse loaded with vitamins and minerals that are good for heart health and disease prevention. With fiber, protein, and mostly unsaturated fats, pecans are a hearty, satisfying snack low in sugar and carbohydrates.
In December 2020, Williamson County AgriLife Extension Service hosted the county Pecan Show and advanced 14 entries to the Central Region Pecan Show at Texas A&M University in College Station. Our local pecan growers have a lot to be proud of with 7 entries advancing to the Texas State Pecan Show in July 2021:
- 1st Place Kiowa: Robert Kaderka, Taylor
- 3rd Place Kiowa: Dennis and Marilyn Perz, Georgetown
- 1st Place Mohawk: Bobby and Wanda Shelton, Florence
- 1st Place Nacono: Robert Kaderka, Taylor
- 1st Place Shoshoni: Bobby and Wanda Shelton, Florence
- 3rd Place Cheyenne: Bobby and Wanda Shelton, Florence
- 3rd Place Choctaw: Robert Kaderka, Taylor
We are so proud of the Williamson County pecan growers who competed at the regional level and look forward to seeing them at the State Pecan Show later this year!
For more information about growing pecans or the pecan show, contact the Williamson County AgriLife Extension Office at 512-943-3300.